Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Swheat!

We're on a food storage kick. I hope it lasts. At least until we get our 3-month supply in order, anyway. I think it will.

With the cost of wheat rising, we decided to start off with a year supply of that grained goodness so we could get it while it's cheap. We are now the proud owners of 1000 lbs. of wheat. Wow. Wheaty-mc-wheat.
If you have any really great wheat-based recipes send them my way. I got a good one from Pam D. in my ward. Here's her recipe:

"Great Noodles"

Bulghur Wheat*
Dried Tomatoes
Dehydrated onion, garlic, peppers, mushrooms
Olive oil
Italian spices
Tomato paste or sauce
Pasta of choice

Soak dehydrated vegetables for 1 hour. Fry in oil. Add spices to taste. Mix together with tomato paste/sauce and wheat. Add dried tomatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and basil. Prepare pasta and combine with everything else. Great noodles, Mom!

*Bulghur wheat: 1 cup of wheat with 2 cups of water in a crock pot about 8 hours (until water is gone). Wheat will crack and be tender. Use as a meat substitute, will keep refrigerated about 7 days.

I don't have any of the dehydrated veggies, so I just used fresh diced green and red peppers and onion powder. I used two 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce and one fresh diced tomato. And whole wheat rotini pasta. And I don't know if I'd call bulghur wheat a meat "substitute", more of an "alternative".

The point is...we ate this last night and it was yummy. Scott and I thought so anyway. The kids all gave it a thumb sideways. They didn't love it, but they didn't need any extreme prompting to eat it. (I'll take it!) It was just so wholesome and filling. And I've tasted Pam's, with all the dehydrated stuff and it was just as good. 100% food storage deliciousness.

7 comments:

MBC said...

I think my parents still have buckets of wheat that they purchased when I was a child. We moved it to several houses. We used to eat cracked wheat for breakfast with brown sugar on top. I don't know exactly how my mom prepared it, but I really liked eating it that way.

cally said...

I made popped wheat last night. Just bake your soaked and cooked (and dry) wheat at 320 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Then sprinkle with salt, or ranch powder. Yummy.

Jeanne said...

A Sr. Missionary from my mission used to cook her bulghur wheat with just a tiny bit of ground beef to give it a little more flavor. She would cook up a bunch and freeze it. Then when she needed ground beef, she'd use the frozen stuff.

I have a recipe for wheat pancakes that you make in a blender with the wheat kernals (not wheat flour). Lots of people have that one, though, so you may have seen it already.

Ryan said...

Swheat wheat. Swheat, Swheat, wheat.

Jenica said...

Here is my favorite recipe for wheat:
-1000 lbs. wheat
-cool dark area with something covering the cement
Let it sit for about 30 years. Try not to move or disturb it.
Yummy!
I actually have wheat envy, as I have been trying to eat through as much food storage as we can before we move. Hopefully food prices will calm down in 4 months when we start stocking back up. Untill then, it's oatmeal cookies and canned fruit till they just won't eat 'em anymore.

Lori said...

Jenica--that cracked me up!

Jeanne--I haven't seen that recipe, I love a copy!

Jeanne said...

Whole Wheat Kernal Pancakes
1/2 c wheat kernels
3/4 c milk
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 Tbs oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

In a blender, mix wheat & milk on high. Blend well for 5 min. Add all other ingredients EXCEPT baking powder. Just before you are ready to cook, with blender still on high, add baking powder and blend 3 min more. (You can use buttermilk or part buttermilk, but substitute baking soda for the baking powder).
Lori- We've been moving so much lately I haven't made this since I had 3 little kids so I don't remember how much it makes...good luck! :)