Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Emma = Thoughtful

Seriously, the girl goes above and beyond. At the beginning of the school year I signed up to send in a game for the classroom to have (for rainy days when they have recess inside). I sent in Phase 10. Just the other day Emma made a point of telling me that she had played it. I detected that tone of voice she uses. The one that's full of pity and I know she feels sorry for me and is trying to make sure my feelings aren't hurt, but trying not to let these things show and to act casual. After some questioning, it turns out no one had played it all year and Emma was afraid I'd be sad that no one had played my game so she talked a few kids into playing it with her that day at school and wanted to be sure I knew it was being used.
Then the other night, I was upstairs getting the kids settled into bed. Emma is allowed to stay up reading a bit later than the others, but since she shares a room with Lydia, she usually stays downstairs to read. So when I came back down, this is what I saw:

That's the chair 1/2, the most comfortable spot to sit, and where Scott and I sometimes recline to watch a little tv in the evenings. Emma must have noticed this, because she had spread out a blanket for us, lined up all of the remotes on the arm, and labeled her offering so we'd be sure to know what it was for.I love that girl.

8 comments:

tiff said...

I love it when they start thinking about your feelings. It's so sweet.

I think Emma is great too. The arranged marriage offer is still up.

Unknown said...

I know for a fact that this would not happen at our house...not because our kids aren't thoughtful but because LG and I would NEVER fit in that chair at the same time:)

Laura said...

No kidding. she is a sweetheart. that is sooo sweet!!!

Jeanne said...

That is so sweet. I love it when kids show us how simple it is to be Christlike.

nbarnes2 said...

that is so sweet i have tears! how thoughtful.

julie said...

sweet, sweet Emma. But I think you should have punished her for not reading like she was suppose to. J/K :)

Anonymous said...

Can she she come to our house for a few days?

Julie said...

I love little stuff like this. It reminds me of my Jessica. She loves to leave notes for me and her dad too. Emma is a great girl!