Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Retiring the '08 books

Since the new year has begun I figured it was time to get rid of my '08 list and start on '09. I don't know if I'll have time to read as much this year but I hope so. I love it. For posterity, here's my full list of books I read in 2008 (most recent first...I finished the Book of Mormon sometime after Christmas, just in time!):

The Book of Mormon
The Peacegiver - James L. Ferrell
Mayflower - Nathaniel Philbrick
The Choice - Nicholas Sparks
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
A Girl Named Zippy - Haven Kimmel
Stolen Lives - Malika Oufkir
The Blue Castle - L.M. Montgomery
Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer
Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J. K. Rowling
These is My Words - Nancy Turner
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J. K. Rowling
The Host - Stephenie Meyer
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J. K. Rowling
Listening is an Act of Love - Dave Isay
Emily of New Moon - L.M. Montgomery
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith

Listening is an Act of Love was one of my favorites, I keep recommending it to everyone I know (including you, go read it!). These is My Words was another really great one. And I might as well own it, I also liked Breaking Dawn. Three Cups of Tea was the most inspiring, but unfortunately it was very tedious to read. I wish a different author had picked up the amazing story, I couldn't stand the one who did. The Peacegiver is one that I would like to read each year and recommend to everyone as well.

Anyway, here's to a very literary 2009!

4 comments:

La Memster said...

I LOVE L.M. MOntgomery. I read a bunch of her books when I was in middle school. Don't remember the story but remember I luved them!

If you like vampires, might look into the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I've been enjoyin' it. Just finished the sixth one.

andrea said...

You should definitely read Sarah's Quilt! It's the one after These is my words...SO good!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with your reading! You rival your Dad with that list. I had two books that would be great for your 2009 reading list. "My Life So Far" and "My Turn on Earth." The second one is kind of long, but a good read and worth the time. :)

tiff said...

Yay! I love reading your reviews on Goodreads....keep 'em coming.

Have you read the Guernsey(?) Literary and Potato Peel Society yet? I keep hearing good things about that.

But I'm reticent when the general public likes it...they are usually not as bothered by innuendo as I am....