Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Warning: this post contains some dirty words

Scroll down for me. Just real quick, stop reading and scroll down to the heart-meltingly sweet photo of Afton all tricked out in sepia tones that makes you think, "I could never have any even remotely negative feelings towards this sweet baby whatsoever."
Have you done it? Me too, it's helping.
Helping me forget what I found when I went in to get Afton from her crib this morning. I didn't take a picture. I didn't laugh. I did get poop on my hands. Lots of poop. It was unavoidable because 80% of her little body was covered in it. Too much volume and not enough room in an already-soggy-overnight diaper. The sheets (which I just barely changed last night thank you very much) and her pajamas luckily were salvageable and went straight to the washing machine. I threw her onesie away. I used over 2000 wipes just to get her cleaned up enough for the bathtub.
Clean her up, clean up the crib, wash hands, clean up the floor and changing pad where phase one of crisis management took place, wash hands, how long will it take for that smell to dissipate?, Lydia do not come over here!, clean up the puddle of pee she made in the bathroom while waiting for the tub to fill, wash hands. Review situation and look for humor.
It could certainly have been worse. One friend of mine had to literally disassemble the crib and take it outside to hose off--two days in a row. Nevertheless, I hereby grant myself permission to eat all of the ice cream in the house. You are all invited to join me, bring some toppings.

10 comments:

Kay said...

How could it have been worse? It was either Scott or Conan who did the same thing and then ate some of it! Yes, he did! There was brown all around his mouth! I'll bring my spoon and we'll eat all your ice cream together. It's still gross to me even after 33 years.

nbarnes2 said...

that was just painful to read. painful.

Erin said...

My daughter, Dylann, used her messy, explosive diaper one morning to fingerpaint on the wall--TWICE!!! Yes, I granted myself permission to have some ice cream then, too...well deserved.
(BTW, hope this doesn't make me sound silly, but I'm suzi's daughter, in case you don't recognize me.)

Lori said...

I'm sure it was Conan.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

I think a book could written on "babies and poop." Want to co-author it with me? I'm looking at that heart-meltingly sweet photo of Afton right now---it helps to dissipate the smell which filled my nostrils as I read of your great adventure. The hosing-off- the-crib story goes in our book, for sure.

julie said...

At least she didn't mean to do it like some stories I have heard. But still-I am sorry for your pain...and smell.

joelb said...

yes, but how can you be 100% certain some trace amount did not get transmitted to the ice cream scoop?

Jeanne said...

eeeewww....I feel your pain! Eat all the ice cream you want. Make it GOOD ice cream too. Just don't use chocolate sauce.

Brad said...

sounds like AFton was covered in a topping...

Jenica said...

I give you permission to go out and buy any amount of any brand of ice cream. It must be contagious... I had to stop writing this to investigate Koens shouts of 'Mom, Hale is putting guacammoleEE all over his-self'. Unfortunately they were true.