Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2009 Books

Last year I read 23 books (three more than in 2008!). However, many of these were very short. I noticed my theme for the year (especially the first half) was kids' series. I love series...I hate it when a good book is over. And I guess I like kids' books too.

For posterity, here is what I read in 2009:

The Help - Kathryn Stockett
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
Christmas Jar - Jason Wright
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer
The Wednesday Letters - Jason Wright
The House at Riverton - Kate Morton
North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
The Diamond of Darkhold - Jeanne Duprau
The Prophet of Yonwood - Jeanne Duprau
The People of Sparks - Jeanne Duprau
The Long Winter - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Gifted Hands - Ben Carson
The City of Ember - Jeanne Duprau
By the Shores of Silver Lake - Laura Ingalls Wilder
On the Banks of Plum Creek - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Sarah's Quilt - Nancy Turner
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
My Life So Far - Russell Barber
My Turn on Earth - Sharlene Barber
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

I love the City of Ember series, I recommend it to you and your kids. I finally finished Harry Potter -- yea! (By the way, Emma has renewed her interest and finally finished #3 and is deep into #4. We decided to go ahead and let her since she's almost 10 now, while frequently talking about what she is reading. She says it's not too scary so far. The deal is she can watch each movie when she finishes reading it...but I'm still going to edit #4 for her.) I like the page-turning Collins books very much, but hate waiting a year for the next one to come out. The Guernsey LAPPPS is just as good as everyone says it is...I love the letter-style. The last book I read was another one of my favorites, The Help. The voice was so wonderful and the writing was hands down some of the best I've ever read. There were sentences I read over and over again because they were SO remarkable, I couldn't believe someone could craft a thought so beautifully.

8 comments:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Congratulations! As they used to say on Electric Company, "You are an easy reader." I didn't write them down, but I'm guessing you read more books than I did this past year. I'm ready to start a new book, so it was fun to read your review. I've read some of the same ones you read, but you've got me interested in some of the others. Would I like *The Help?* Can I borrow yours? :)

Jeanne said...

If you like kids' series, have you read Fablehaven by Brandon Mull? We really like these and they are being made into a movie. The last in his 5 book series comes out in March.

cally said...

Show off.

I'm only jealous.

My goal in 2009 was to read two books. I read one, and felt very proud of myself. My goal this year is to read four, so maybe I'll read two. That Help book sounds delicious. I must be very selective.

ps. my rear hurts. good workout.

Sarahie said...

I love this! I have been thinking lately that I should spend more time reading books! Of course, it is a little difficult to do with a 1-year-old and a baby, but I'm going to use you as my inspiration and try to make time! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I want to read your mom and dad's books...I am serious.

I agree with Cally about you being a show off. I am going to make myself feel better with my lack of reading, by knowing that I spent more time than you did this year doing some other very worthy endeavor..whenever I figure out what that was I will let you know.

Good work...join my bookclub. I WILL start one this year.

Lori said...

Re: showing off.

Why else do you think I read?
Or blog?

tiff said...

I loved Guernsey too!!!

And I've been really wanting to read The Help. However, I think I saw it highlighted in the Oprah mag, so I wasn't sure if it was clean or not. She seems to recommend good books that make you think, I just don't want to think about some things.....

Is that just me?

Anyway, I'm excited to go pick up The Help now. :)

Julie said...

You would love the Fablehaven books. I have them and would gladly let you borrow. Actually, I don't have all of them...just the first 2. You can still borrow them.