Friday, January 29, 2010

Flame Runner



Wednesday evening was a historic first for our family. We entered the world of Pinewood Derby, not to emerge for the next five years. I know I went to these with my brothers when I was little, but have only vague memories (mostly of not winning--is that accurate?). It was all new and exciting to me. The dads all made a car also and had a separate tournament. Ben had a good time learning the ins and outs of sanding, weights, spray paint and rad decals from his old man. It all paid off too...to the tune of 3rd place out of nine. Not too shabby for a rookie.

7 comments:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Welcome to Pinewood Derby World. I felt like I was always in that world, with three boys. You're right, we never had a first place winner. Boys? What are your memories? Congrats to Ben on his third place win. I love the picture of him!

joelb said...

your memory is accurate - you never won, lori.

joelb said...

btw, afton's name is still kinda small in the sidebar there. (hint hint)

Jeanne said...

Welcome...we're in it for awhile now. Ours is tomorrow.

Troy said...

I had *just* gotten over the trauma of always losing at pinewood derby. thanks for wiping out the years of therapy.

Unknown said...

What? Scott's not a rookie? He can pretend that he let Ben do it all by himself, but we know better.

And make sure and tell Scott that he can't blame Ben for his 3rd place because we all know how competitive those twins can be. If Jake got better than 3rd, Ben (um, I mean Scott) better step up his game next year. :)

Unknown said...

Lucky for our nonexistant sons. LG is anti-competetion and so the only way they would stand a chance would be because of their mother, and I would BOMB at pinewood derby duty.

God may know what he is doing after all. With not giving us any sons. We wouldn't want them scarred by their own father's lack of pinewood ambition, would we?