Thursday, January 12, 2012

Retiring the 2011 books

23 books again, third year in a row. What's the deal? Next year I'll have to count up the list in early December and take some measures to finish with a different total.


                      A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens


There was a wide range this year; some of them were incredible, some of them were just plain awful. I read most books for book club, a few because I was headed out the door to some appointment and just grabbed something off the shelf, a handful because they were what my kids were reading and I love to read what they're reading, and a couple that friends thrust into my hands and said, "Read this!" My friend, Alice, just posted some good tips for finding time to read. I totally dig her list, she read twice as much as me in 2011.

My favorite of the year was hands down The Book Thief. I can't sing enough praises about that book. The writing is probably the best I've ever read. Unbroken is an captivating true account...a little long to get through but worth it. I really enjoyed all the classics, as well. Most of them were pretty short and easy. And I was so pleased to end the year with A Christmas Carol. I've watched a dozen different movie adaptations but I've never actually read it before. I'm so glad I did--beautiful, compelling writing. No wonder it's withstood the test of time.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you liked my post. Reading is my sanity. What would we do without it. I believe you read some harder books than I did this year.

I also enjoyed The Book Thief. I can't remember if you are on goodreads or not, but I want some star ratings on everything you read. I am about to read Matched and wonder what you think of it. I want details on all these books as I am always deciding what to read next.

Love you Lori.

Lori said...

Alice, I'm pretty sure we're already friends on goodreads, aren't we? I see your updates there--go look for me! I usually write up short reviews there and give star rankings. There were definitely winners and losers on last year's list, so please do go check! :)

joelb said...

and which were the worst?

Yo Mama said...

What did you think of A Thousand Splendid Suns?

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

A very impressive list. I've never counted how many books I read in a year and I've never made a list, but this looks like a great idea---kind of a nice reflection.

Dad and I were surprised at your high ratings for *The Book Thief* - we both read it this past year and neither of us liked it all that well. The writing was excellent and very intersting in the approach it took with the narration, but I always felt depressed at the end of each day's reading. And that part just never changed during the entire reading of it. Hmmmm.

Laura said...

The Book Theif was my favorite too! And I think Unbroken was my 2nd. I'm so glad I started coming to book club.

Brad said...

Cool Lori. I read the Christmas Carol for the first time in 2010 (on my iPhone!) and then read it out loud to Andrew all through December of this year (in paperback!). It was a fun tradition that we plan on carrying on each year now.

lisa said...

I love your list. I only kept track of my books that year I took the Children's Literature class, but seeing your list makes me want to keep track again. (and I've actually read a book already, "Crossed"!) Thanks for sharing.

Tanner said...

What about WarriorCats?