- The Screwtape Letters - C. S. Lewis
- The Maze Runner - James Dashner
- The American Heiress - Daisy Goodwin
- A Season of Gifts - Richard Peck
- The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin
- Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
- The Wednesday Wars - Gary D. Schmidt
- Okay for Now - Gary D. Schmidt
- Heaven is Here - Stephanie Nielsen
- Seventeen Second Miracle - Jason Wright
- Specials - Scott Westerfeld
- Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - Amy Chua
- Killing Lincoln - Bill O'Reilly
- Joy for Beginners - Erica Bauermeister
- When You Reach Me - Rebecca Stead
- Pretties - Scott Westerfeld
- The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
- Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
- Tuesdays With Morrie - Mitch Albom
- Fishers of Men - Gerald Lund
- The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom
- The Giver - Lois Lowry
- Into the Wild - Erin Hunter
Okay, I promise I am not doing this on purpose...
2012 = 23 books
Weird. Last year I even commented that I would try to deliberately end with a different total for 2012. Must have forgotten, because there it is again: 23 books. I guess it is meant to be.
I love Gary Schmidt. His two books were my favorites of the year. Fantastic writing, perfect voice, compelling stories and great characters. I had fun reading the Uglies series with Emma; perfectly good quick fluff. We read When You Reach Me together too and I liked that one even more. Ben and I read The Westing Game together...which is one I read sometime in grade school and remember liking it then, and it totally held up for reading as an adult. I might like it even better now because I get a lot of jokes that were over my head then. Killing Lincoln was fascinating, so much I never knew about the Lincoln assassination, but told in a really readable way. The Poisonwood Bible was interesting too, it got a little long, but I forgave it because I learned so much and it made me think.
I noticed I got a lot of questions last year about which ones I didn't like, so here it goes: Joy for Beginners, The American Heiress, and The Maze Runner. There are others on the list that were just okay/kind of blah, but these three in particular were real stinkers. The kind of book you finish and feel cheated...you've wasted your time and gotten dumber for having read them.